History

The single story Council Club hotel was constructed in 1875, replacing a dilapidated grocery store. The hotel was largely demolished in 1901 to be replaced by a two story hotel, still called the Council Club. Afteer undergoing many changes inside and out over succeeding decades, the hotel was delicensed in 1970. The latest refurbishment was commenced in 2006 and completed in 2010.

The history of the building is well told in the DVD From Pub to Hub which was produced for the re-opening in 2010.  The DVD includes an entertaining speech at the re-opening by Barry Jones AO. Barry had stayed at the pub with his father in 1946.